Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Return to Malava

It's been a really long almost two weeks, but I arrived back in Malava after our coastal vacation yesterday. I have now officially used every form of transportation Kenya has to offer...except for a motorcycle.
It would be a really long post if I went through day by day, so I'll just list some of the highlights
- Exploring Ft. Jesus and haggling for fabric on the street on Old Town in Mombasa
- Swim in pools on the top of a coral reef
- Swimming in coral caves with a lot of bats
- Exploring a tidal river and floating all the way back to the ocean after treking across a crab infested "minefield"
- Air conditioning, hot showers and movies on TV
- Eating lots of really good food that I didn't have to make myself including shwarmas, fresh fish, goat ribs and crocodile
- Having a live baby crocodile just chilling on my arm
- Reading and relaxing under palm trees with the sound of the Indian ocean
- The train ride from Mombasa to Nairobi- felt really old school and we saw a huge family of giraffes!

All in all, we got a little taste of Mombasa town and a little taste of the beach. We ended the whole thing with a retreat with Sr. Jane in Nairobi. The retreat house had the best shower I've had since I got to Kenya, I took two a day. I flew back to Kisumu rather than taking the bus like I had on the way there. It was really fast and completely uneventful.

Pictures will come soon!

No comments: