Friday, April 24, 2009

A Very Kenyan Birthday

Happy Birthday to Kate (well...and to me)! I hope your birthday back in Cincy is wonderful.
As for me, 7 hours ahead, my birthday is almost over, but it was a really nice day.
Tom and I went into Kakamega for lunch and I got three new bootlegs, including one of Julia Roberts movies and Sex and the City Season two. I've been having bad matatu luck recently b/c now two matatus in two days have broken down on my way to Kakamega and I had to get out and wait for another one. Also, today in the matatu a lorry drove by and splashed a puddle of stagnant muddy water on the side of the matatu and on me since my window was open.
But anyways, after getting new bootlegs, Tom and I had a delicious lunch at the Shywe guest house before heading back.
The sisters here also had a very nice dinner for me this evening. Tom and Michael came, along with everyone from both houses here on the compound. We had a delicious meal of chapati, sukuma and beans made by the new postulants- Susan and Elizabeth. After dinner came ice cream, cake and presents. All in all a wonderful 24th birthday.
I want to say a BIG thank you to my family for my birthday present that came in the mail yesterday. The best thing is having my knitting stuff again. I've started a new blanket with the yarn and needles my mom sent from home.
Thank you also to all the people who sent birthday wishes from home!

1 comment:

Lauren said...

WOOT! It's your BIRTHDAY! Sounds like it has been a happy Kenyan one full of mud and good food! Hey, can Lauren and I come visit you next weekend?? We need to go to Kisumu for visa stuff and then we want to head north to Kakamega! Meet us on Sunday?? :) If you are able...
Have you been to Kakamega forest yet? Lauren and I are going to read some of your blog now and we should def talk on the phone this week! Once again, happy birthday!
Kwaheri,
Christy & Lauren