Monday, August 10, 2009

Weddings all over the world

First of all, it was really nice to see the Casey side of my family on Skype last night! I hope you all had a wonderful time this weekend...I was very sad to miss seeing all of you.
While I missed my cousin Caitlin's wedding this weekend, I had the pleasure of attending the wedding of Angela's sister. Saturday morning was supposed to begin with a Harambe for David's church, but like most African events, when we arrived on time, it hadn't started yet. So after donating what we could to help David's church find a new worship space, Tom, Neto and I hopped on a matatu to Bungoma. We arrived expecting the ceremony to already be over (it was supposed to start at 8am). When we finally reached the church (around 1pm) we discovered that the ceremony had yet to begin. When Angela and the rest of the wedding party arrived, we learned that all the vehicles had broken down and the priest was not going to show up until three. So we hung out long enough to watch the wedding party process in and hear some of the speeches from family members (not that we could understand them). Finally, before anything had really begun, it was time to head home. We had a soda and some chapatis with Angela and then headed back to Malava.
Last Friday was our epilepsy clinic and my one task was to fetch the doctors from the hospital in Mumias (about an hour away). When I asked where to find the hospital, everyone told me just to take the road to Mumias from Kakamega and I would see the sign. They promised me I couldn't miss it. I now know I must ALWAYS ask for more specific directions. Long story short, Tom and I ended up being an hour late picking up the doctors. Despite that, it was our fastest clinic by far and Tom and I got out of there around 1:30.
This week is a trip to Sababtia Eye Hospital, which I'm really looking forward so since I haven't been out there in several months. Saturday Angela's son Gracious turns two, so we get our first taste of how Kenyans celebrate their children's birthday. It should be alot of fun.

No comments: