Monday, July 27, 2009

Well, as I was trying to fight off my first African cold, Katie and I spent a nice weekend in Kisumu. Every once and a while its nice to get to a city and sleep in a hotel. We went out on the Lake so Katie could see the Hippos (which is just as exciting the second time as it was the first). It was really pleasant and cool and our guides spoke excellent English. We said hi to local fisherman and even saw some people trying to secretly brew some illegal changaa (illegal booze).
Saturday Tom joined us. We did some Nakumatt shopping and has Chinese food. We tried to go to the Kisumu museum, but Katie and Tom didn't have proof of residency so it was a little too pricey for them. We did find an awesome little craft market with some stall that help HIV positive women and teenagers in and around Kisumu. I got some presents, but I'm not telling. They're going to be a surprise.
After a Saturday afternoon of sunning ourselves at the Kisumu hotel pool, Katie and I went to see a movie (Hannah Montana, don't make fun). All in all, a lovely weekend away. I have a trip to the clinic in Eldoret this week and the four of us are trying to plan our vacation in September. August is a month full of celebrations- so I'm sure I'll have lots to write about.

No comments: