Monday, July 20, 2009

I'm really sorry for not posting for a few weeks. The truth is, there hasn't been that much to report. But here are a few stories

A few Fridays ago, after some rushed grocery shopping in Kakamega, I met Katie for lunch, only to find she was already sitting with another American when I arrived. Annette runs a non profit offering alternative education options for Kenyan girls out of Chico California. She was in Kenya for 6 weeks to check on operations here. We had a really nice lunch with her, talking about her work, our work, and how nice it is to use American english. Earlier that morning I drove Neto and David to an Awareness Workshop for St. Julie's. Every few weeks, Neto, David, Angela and Grace (or some combination) go out to churches in the community to tell people what we're doing at St. Julie's and hoping to find more children with disabilities who aren't being treated. Since the workshops are all in Swahili or Luhya, my role that day was purely as a chauffeur. Or so I thought. This Friday they happened to be addressing an entire primary school. I was planning on just sitting in the car, reading my book and listening to my i pod until they were done, but the head teacher wanted for me to address the kids. So I got up in front of an entire primary school and in broken Luhya and Swahili said good morning and that my name was Sue and I was from the US. For a moment all the kids looked at me, and then all burst into laugher. Nothing like being laughed at by a room full of children. After that I let David and Neto do the talking and fidgeted until they were done. It's actually a really neat thing to be a part of b/c these awareness workshops help us to reach far corners of our district that otherwise probably would never have heard of us.
I spent most of last week under the covers rather than going to work. Not really that sick, mostly just exhausted. At first I thought it might have been malaria again, but all of us seem to have gotten it. Katie first, then me and Michael and now Tom. It seems to have passes, and I'm feeling much better.
This past weekend Katie and I went to Kisumu just for the day. She was itching to get out of the house for a little while and I didn't have enough energy for the hiking/ nature options nearby. It ended up being really fun. We ate at a Chinese restaurant, my first in almost 7 months. Then we did a little Nakumatt shopping and came home. I think we're going to head down again this weekend, but for a few days. Katie wants to see the hippos in the Lake and we might hit a few of the other tourist options Kisumu has.

I wanted to say another BIG Thanks to First Church. The second package of toys arrived last week. They've been divided between our toy lending library, the toys used at the center and the toys that are going to be used at our new outpost station. We're all so excited for new toys so thank you very much.

Thats about all in my life for now. Hopefully I'll have some fun stories and pictures when I get back from Kisumu.

No comments: