Sunday, March 8, 2009

Malarial Boredom...pt 2

Well there's really not alot to update this week.
I feel like I might have finally kicked the malaria (knock on wood), but being home from work for a week with absolutely no energy was not super fun. On the upside, thanks to honorable Tom and Jean for retrieving them for me, I saw several movies this week that I'd never seen before. Pineapple Express, Some Like It Hot, Indian Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark and Pulp Fiction, just to name a few. Tom's extensive movie collection continues to come in quite handy.
I did manage to get out of the house a few times and a big thanks to Tom for coming out to the compound to entertain me. Friday all four of us went to lunch at Ismael's house. He's the foreman here on our farm and he wanted us to come see his bomas (homestead). We had a nice lunch of soda, biscuits, fried eggs and ugali. For those of you who know me well, you know that I don't eat eggs. It was my first challenge to Kenya hospitality, but not wanting to be rude, I ate as much of the lunch as I could (thanks Michael for taking some of my eggs!). Don't worry, I haven't had some revelations about eggs. I still think they're gross. But i've been told that here, when someone makes you something to eat, unless its going to make you sick, you eat it.
We also finalized some plans for our vacation in April. We're going to the coast for like 6 days and then white water rafting outside Nairobi before a two day retreat with Sr. Jane in Nairobi. It's amazing to think that we've been gone for 10 weeks already. It's amazing how fast the time has flown by.
Today we went to Tom and Michael's for a tasty brunch of peppers and sausage. One casualty of the malaria was my appetite, but its been coming back. Jean went home to do some laundry but I ended up staying the rest of the day and having dinner with the boys and the cat. It was a really nice way to spend the afternoon and nice to have two meals cooked for me.
I'm glad to be headed back to St. Julie's tomorrow. As always, thanks to all of you who are keeping up with my story!

No comments: