Monday, March 9, 2009

culinary victories

I wanted to post something short about how wonderful it is to cook here. Because there's a limited variety of the food we can eat, we're all forced to experiment with the food we do have to create new and interesting dishes. Today, I achieved two culinary victories in the field of tomatoes. A few weeks ago I tried making tomato sauce for pasta from scratch. It took about 3 hours, but I think what I made turned out pretty well. I worked on it again today, switching up some of the ingredients, changing the process a little and I have to say, it was a great success. Looking at it simmering away on the stove, you really wouldn't be able to tell that it didn't come from a jar in the supermarket. Please with this victory, I moved on to tomato soup. Again, it took several hours and a lot of experimenting, but I think it turned out pretty well. It doesn't exactly taste like campbells, but it's going to be pretty darn tasty with some grilled cheese sandwiches here.
Other culinary discoveries- grilled PB&J and Peanut butter, banana and honey sandwiches (a big thanks to the boys for that one. Jean also made chocolate frosting yesterday with hot chocolate powder since she couldn't find cocoa. Imagine eating a cake with frosting that tasted just like hot cocoa. It was delicious!
There's a woman in the market who sells coconuts and I want my next experiment to some sort of curry sauce that uses coconut. So if anyone happens to know of a simple recipe for a sauce that needs curry powder and coconut milk, please let me know.

No comments: