Monday, March 23, 2009

St. Patty's Day and a bount of new movies...

Last week went by so quickly, but it seems as thought that's become the norms. I keep thinking that it was just the other day I bid farewell to cold, snowy Cincinnati Ohio, and then I remember that its almost been 3 months. CRAZY!
Anyways...Tuesday Tom and I had a staff meeting at the St. Julie’s Center that lasted around 3 hours. After, we went to the boy’s house for St. Patrick’s Day. Tom made Corned beef and cabbage with potatoes, which was delicious! I think it was great mostly b/c it was so different from the food we usually eat. Most of the staff from the St. Julie’s center came, but left right after dinner. Since Jean and I weren’t getting pick up until 8 we stayed and hung out for a little while to watch the stars come out. Again, a big thanks to Tom and Michael for preparing a great meal.
Nothing really new to report from St. Julie's.
We also had a meeting with Judi last week. She wanted to know how things were going at SJC and I was sure to let her know that we didn’t have much to do on a day to day basis while we’re actually at work but we’re working on changing that. Actually, Tom and I are starting driving lessons this week with an actual driving school. I’m really excited; it will be nice to be able to drive. I’m even thinking about getting a Kenyan license, apparently it’s very easy and can be used as proof of residency. I’m also picking up a little side project. There’s a man whose daughter used to come to the center but sadly passed away. He writes stories about local legends in the tribal language, but has recently translated them into Swahili. Anyways, he needs someone to type them so they can be published, and I told Judi I would be happy to do it. It’s a nice little project to have in the afternoons. Sissy also called Tom last week,to check in and offered some ideas about new projects to take on. There’s a center for neglected and abused children in Kakamega, and she’s thinking about us each working there one day a week. There are also a bunch of little side projects that need to be done in the course of the year, so there seems to be more work that we can do. We'll see how it all plays out.
This past weekend was uneventful, but a lot of fun. All four of us went to Kakamega so Jean and I could change the day we’re taking the bus on vacation and buy more bootleg movies. Gotta love Kenya…20 movies on one disc for about 200 KSH (about 250 USD). It’s awesome. Jean and I also got some new shoes…I got dressier sandals for vacation since I didn’t want to wear my chacos with everything. Friday I also had breakfast with Tom and two Masai warriors at the Honey Drop cafĂ©. It was neat! And a little scary. We got there and it was so crowded that the only seats left were at a table with two Masai men who work as night watchmen here in the village. One of them even had a bottle of their goats milk/ cow blood drink on the table. They’re intimidating b/c they don’t even speak Swahili, carry knives on their belts all the time and some have some very interesting tribal tattoos. Saturday Tom, Michael and I headed out to Tumaini to get some indoor painting done and then had homemade pizza from Jean at our house. Sunday was spent playing outside with some of the local kids and watching Shrek 2 and 3 with Tom, Michael and a group of Kenyan children.
So thats life for now...thanks for keeping up with my adventures! Next weekend I'm going to Kakamega to meet a woman who's coming here from the Unitarian Universalist Service Committee to see a grassroots initiative that the UUSC has been partnering with here. I'm super excited to see another UU!

No comments: